Saturday, August 27, 2011

Zucchini Nut Bread


Zucchini Nut Bread
 
I've always been a huge fan of this homemade bread... I have wonderful memories of eating it warm, spread with cream cheese, in my Grandma's kitchen. Of course, in light of our recent abundance of zucchini squash from the garden, I had to find a "good" zucchini bread recipe. Started with Food Network's Paula Deen and made some changes, baked a batch, then made some more changes. I like to think that it is "healthier". Lol. Here's the latest version....
 
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour, 1 c. all-purpose, 1 c. spelt wheat flour
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 c. white sugar, 1 c. brown sugar
  • 0.5 c. vegetable oil, 0.5 c. regular applesauce
  • 2 eggs & 2 egg whites
  • 3 c. grated zucchini + 0.5 c. grated carrots (optional)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1.5 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix wet into dry, and fold in nuts. Pour into greased loaf pans (lined with parchment paper too!). Bake for 50-60min or until toothpick comes out clean. Slice and enjoy!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment