Sunday, March 18, 2012

Macbeth


"Nought's had, all's spent,



Where our desire is got without content;


'Tis safer to be that which we destroy


Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy."

      In this quote, Lady Macbeth expresses despair and discontentment despite getting what you want.... How true is that of us? We think we want something and, in order to get it, make a sacrifice, hurt someone in our path, or even destroy.... Then realize that we really had no idea what we want. I love how this Shakespeare tragedy speaks truth to very different, yet foundationally similar situations today.
       Dad & I went to see "Macbeth" at Popejoy while Jacob was at work today. I had forgotten what a great play it is. We read it in highschool at RGES and even performed it as a class one year. I was Murderer #1. Yep, it's true. I killed Banquo ---- and did it smiling. :) Hence, another reason why I did not pursue an acting career.

No comments:

Post a Comment