Dear Son,
Today was another special day! It was the second time we had the opportunity to come together as a family of four. We were all a little less nervous than Monday since we kinda knew what to expect. Today, however, was a busy day for the agency, as we were one of 8 families who were there visiting with their children. They literally were running out of physical space so one family met in a private room in the coffee shop. We were waiting in the entry way wondering where we would all get to play when Mrs K walked in with you! Mrs K ran up to your mom and gave her a big hug. Your mom got down on your level calling your name, super excited to see you, but you were still a little shy and clung to your foster mom. Shortly after you and Mrs K walked in our social worker came out to lead us up to the second floor of ESWS. We rode in the elevator and you continued to bury your head into your foster mother and cling to her leg.
It was clear you felt comfortable at ESWS because as soon as the elevator doors opened you stepped out and knew where to go. We took off our shoes and went into a playroom. It was perfect! It was not near as hot and muggy as the room that we were in on Monday, and it had a green slide in it with lots of toys. The slide quickly broke the ice and you began playing with mom and I. We took turns helping you on the slide. One of us would help you climb and the other would catch you as you slid down. It was such a special time.
Your sister was so excited to see you! She kept telling you that she was your “nuna”, which means big sister in Korean. It's going to be a bit of an adjustment for her but she's going to be a wonderful big sister — just don't pester her too much!
Mom and I had gifts for both you and Lily. We took your gifts out slowly and played with them one by one. Lily on the other hand pulled hers out and immediately wanted to eat her snacks and play with her toys.
After some time where we all played together, your grandpa Harry and grandma Pat took your sister out for a snack. Shortly after that, our social worker stepped out too, leaving only you and Mrs K in the room with us. We had a wonderful time playing and sharing fruit snacks. I will never forget your smile and your laugh as we rolled the ball to one another, played with the drum, took turns tickling each other, and watched you go down the slide, trusting that we would catch you!
We have had a wonderful visit with your foster mother… she is truly an incredible woman. You are her twelfth foster child. She gave us photos of you starting from the first time she met you all the way up to the photos she took of us meeting you for the first time. Someday you will understand what a beautiful & meaningful gift that was to us. Your mom and I looked at all of the photos. Your foster mother and her family have loved you so well! While I want to bring you home as soon as possible I know that you are being well loved and cared for until that day comes.
Before we knew it our social worker returned and was telling us that our time was almost up. The moments we had together went by so fast and yet they are moments that I will never forget; I will hold those moments forever in my heart and mind.
As we were packing up our things your foster mother told you something in Korean. You then ran over to me and wrapped me in one of the biggest hugs I think I have ever received. Time seemed to freeze as you just let me hold you. I didn't want to let you go but I knew I needed to, but as I did, you gave me a kiss. Mrs K then said now “Omma” — and you gave your momma a kiss.
These moments I will cherish for the rest of my days…. We wish we could spend more time with you this week and will miss you so much! Stay safe, my son, until we return to take you home.
Love,
아빠 (Appa-Dad)
No comments:
Post a Comment