Ever since I can remember, my Mom has given us Easter gifts. In grade school, we often got customized gift baskets with books, toys, candy, etc. Similar to Christmas stockings, she always put thought into what kind of sweets each of us liked and what new toys we had been eying. As my brothers and I got older, the baskets turned into presents like a new sweater, a cookbook, a video game.... this year, I got a 10" round non-stick tart pan with removable bottom.
First, I tried a cooked apple-pear tart with a custard. It was good, but more work as each step had to be cooked. The tartness of the apple and custard were the primary flavors. Not very sweet at all. But I did find a great buttery crust recipe that I plan to use for any subsequent tarts. [Thank you, Paula Deen!]
Later in the week, as I was in a tart-making groove, I decided to try a strawberry tart. We were going over to Jacob's boss' house for dinner, and they had asked us to bring dessert. This should be easy! I made the same crust (1.5 c flour, 0.5 c powdered sugar & 1.5 sticks butter) & baked it for 12min. Then, I whipped up a cold filling (one that I also use for fruit pizza). Cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. After the crust cooled, I spread out the filling and then laid out freshly cut strawberries. It was AMAZING. Definitely a hit as the 4 of us ate it ALL. It had a nice lightness to it, the crust was perfect (I'm a crust-lover when it comes to desserts), and it was sweet but not too sweet.
Oh, and of course, for presentation purposes, I melted some strawberry jelly in the microwave and lightly brushed it on top of the berries to give it that glossy look.
the final product
Delicious! I also have a Vegetable Tart recipe that I made in a different pan (as I did not own a tart pan until just recently). Next time I make it, I will post pics & the recipe. It is scrumptious as well. Happy Cookin'!




No comments:
Post a Comment