Thursday, March 4, 2010

While I'm Waiting

Yesterday we had at appt with the oncologist, Dr. V. As far as J's incision and healing from surgery (now 3 wks ago), they are ok with how things look. There is still some drainage, so we are using the ABD pads (lg gauze) but they advised us to pack the wound slightly differently. We are using plain strips of gauze coated in Alginate - a gel that promotes cellular proliferation (faster healing) and is commonly used in wounds. The goal is to heal from the inside-out, not close up the hole and have a large cavity inside, filling up with fluid. It is a slow process, but things are improving. The wound is looking better, and J is feeling better as well... more energy, less pain.... 

Now, for looking ahead.... Since they found more active cancer in the second resection and did not solely get wide clean margins, they want to try again. In about 3 months, they hope to repeat surgery with the continued goal of wider margins. April 12th J will have a CT & MRI to eval for any progression/remaining tumor. Then we will meet with Dr. Quinn on April 20th to discuss the next (and hopefully LAST!) surgery. While I am definitely not excited about sitting in the surgical waiting room -again- and going through this whole process of seeing my husband in pain, this is the alternative to radiation & chemotherapy. 

Meanwhile, J is taking extra vitamins & protein to promote healing. We will continue doing wound care twice a day until it's better and slowly resume normal activities. It's certainly hard waiting. The song below has been a prayer of my heart. I could listen to it over and over again. I hope it encourages you today.

 
"While I'm Waiting"
By John Waller (Fireproof Soundtrack)

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Takeing every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful song. I will keep praying lady, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and I love you both, and are praying for you often. Please let us know what we can do to help. You are both inspiring examples of faith and perseverance. Our God is in the business of healing and restoration, and I know you know that. I know that He is already using you both through this incredibly difficult situation to show His love and glory to many around you. I love you!
    -MMAT

    ReplyDelete