Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Words.

Words are pretty powerful. 

They can inspire thousands to action, bring a mother to tears;  
They can ruin a reputation, or make a stranger feel welcome.
Words can make someone’s day and offer hope;
Or they can tear down, rip apart, and bring death.



Today, I had the privilege of speaking truth to a girl that had never heard words like mine. 

“You’re loved.”

“You’re beautiful, designed just the way God made you.”

“There’s a plan and purpose for your life.”


And I listened to heartbreaking words flow out of her mouth. 

“I’m worthless.”

“I feel unwanted… it would’ve been better if I was never born.”

“My family doesn’t love me.”


As I sat there, knowing in the back of my mind that I was late on some meds for my other patients, I couldn’t pull away. I felt like I needed to stay and listen…. 
To hold her as she sobbed…. To reassure her that everything would be ok.

She has known so much pain and abuse in her short life,
been told so many lies that she believes.
I can’t fix her family, heal her disease, or give her freedom - I’m just a nurse.

But I can ache with her over the brokenness of her world and grieve the effects of sin.
I can listen to her words, acknowledge her feelings, and make her laugh.
I can speak words of encouragement, hope, and faith.
I can pray for her, care for her, love her.


At the end of my shift, she requested a goodbye hug and quietly said, “thank you.”

Those two words made it all worth it.

What kind of words will you speak today?

No comments:

Post a Comment