When you think about rejoicing in the Lord, where does your mind take you? Do you immediately start thinking about all of the blessings that God has poured out upon you? Do you sulk because you don't feel his blessings? Or do you treasure difficult times and take joy, seeking God's glory in the midst of them?
Two years ago we were awaiting the news of my pathology report after my third surgery. We were in community group with the Pettits where everyone had graciously walked through that trying time with us. After receiving the news that there was no sign of any cancer in the pathology report we spread the news quickly to our families, friends and community group. Later on that evening we were talking with a close friend and he said that when he heard our good news, he immediately started rejoicing in the Lord and praising Him. He then went on to share how the Holy Spirit quickly convicted him --- "Would you have rejoiced and praised me this much if I had not removed Jacob's cancer?"
What a great question..... At times in my life I would have to say no... I would not have rejoiced if I had found out that my cancer had returned. Currently we have so many things hanging on the outcome of these scans that it would have been difficult to rejoice in the Lord. However, I can rejoice because my Savior is good!!! If my scans had not come back clear, I wouldn't have been able to go to paramedic school, the house Meghan and I are buying might not have worked out, and who knows if we would ever have the opportunity to start a family through adoption?! But even if all those things came true, it doesn't change who Jesus is.
Why can I rejoice despite my circumstances? Because my God is always faithful. His Love endures forever. I am His and He is my portion and prize. He has chosen me, forgiven my sins, and redeemed me. He has made me a new creation! I am His adopted son and a joint heir with Jesus Christ. In difficult times I see His love to an even greater extent. I could go on and on with reasons of how I can rejoice in Jesus!
Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
2 Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
2 Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
3 Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
5 For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.
- Jacob
No comments:
Post a Comment