"Yes, that's what I'll take... some perspective. Fresh out?"
I think it's interesting that children's movies like "Ratatouille" and many others have deeper moments squeezed between the silliness....
I worked the past 3 days, yes... Friday the 23rd, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. 12 hr shifts. And yes, it sucked. For multiple reasons.
I missed out on my family's Christmas celebrations. I couldn't attend any of the Christmas services at our church. Jacob was off Christmas Eve/Day. I woke up on Christmas Day with a 101.4 fever and miserable body aches. We discharged patients but due to other circumstances (someone calling in, someone floating, etc) I didn't get to be on call or go home early. Our patients were sick and busy. Now I'm downright exhausted.
However, as tough as it was, and how I would NOT do it again if I had the choice.... a little perspective was granted to me in a couple different ways..... Yesterday I took care of a 13 year old boy who was admitted to the hospital on Christmas Eve and diagnosed with cancer. It's already spread from his bones to his lungs and he was in so much pain. What kind of Christmas is that? At least I got to come home at the end of my long, hard day to a sweet husband, cancer free home, and loving family. He was dealing with a potentially terminal diagnosis, excruciating pain, and their family was in a different city for the holidays. Perspective #1.
Next, I learned that a friend of ours lost her mom to cancer yesterday... on Christmas Day. After several months of battling cancer, enduring chemo, and praying for healing, the Lord took her home. I guess in some ways, that would be such a bittersweet gift... knowing that your mom was with her Jesus and pain/cancer free. Yet, that would forever change your celebration & memories of Christmas.... I can't imagine losing my mom right now. How heartbreaking.... Perspective #2.
So there's the little perspective that I realized yesterday afternoon.... changes things, doesn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment