Every year the People Living Through Cancer organization hosts an event called the People's Caring Awards. Anyone in the state of NM is invited to nominate healthcare professionals, volunteers, individuals, and businesses who give their time and effort to help people dealing with cancer—reflecting high standards of respect, understanding, and compassion. My husband sweetly wrote the following to recognize me.
"I may be a little bias in my nomination because I am nominating my wife, Meghan Black. She has been working as a pediatric specialty care nurse at UNMH for the past 2 1/2 years, where she mainly cares for pediatric oncology patients. I have seen her lovingly care for her patients and go above and beyond what is required of a nurse. I cant tell you how many time she has taken things like a tub of chocolate ice cream, a box of lucky charms, or a toy to one of her patients just to brighten their day. She not only cares for her patients, but for her patients families. Just last week she was trying to organize the staff of her unit to bring home cooked meals to a family who has been living in the hospital for months.
Meghan married me knowing that I am a cancer survivor. She is constantly talking with me about what it was like to be a kid with cancer and how she can specifically love on her patients.
What makes Meghan so special is that she is not only a Nurse but she is also an individual who has supported me in my fight against cancer. After being in remission for five years I relapsed during our first year of marriage. She stood by me, loved me, cared for me and was always supporting me. She is such a angel! Last year I had 3 surgeries, while recovering from my second surgery Meghan had to dress and pack my incision twice a day for three months... She did it with joy and love. I could not think of anyone else who is more deserving for a “People's Caring Award” than my wife Meghan."
Meghan married me knowing that I am a cancer survivor. She is constantly talking with me about what it was like to be a kid with cancer and how she can specifically love on her patients.
What makes Meghan so special is that she is not only a Nurse but she is also an individual who has supported me in my fight against cancer. After being in remission for five years I relapsed during our first year of marriage. She stood by me, loved me, cared for me and was always supporting me. She is such a angel! Last year I had 3 surgeries, while recovering from my second surgery Meghan had to dress and pack my incision twice a day for three months... She did it with joy and love. I could not think of anyone else who is more deserving for a “People's Caring Award” than my wife Meghan."
I wasn't chosen as a winner among the many people nominated, but my parents came too and we enjoyed a nice lunch at the Hotel Albuquerque. It's one thing to be told things like that one-on-one from someone, but I was so honored to be publicly spoken of with such high regard. I am incredibly blessed with such a sweet, thoughtful husband. Maybe I'll nominate him next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment